It’s not that difficult to repair a concrete floor. In fact, concrete is a popular flooring choice because it’s easy to repair and maintain. You can handle small repairs as a DIY project and fix the problem in a single day. At The Floor Company, we’ve listed some concrete floor repair techniques that work really well and can be done easily. All you need to do is follow the right steps.
Fixing Concrete Cracks
Cracks on the concrete surface can look unsightly and messy. Fortunately, they’re very easy to fix and the floor can be made to look as good as new. Here are the steps to deal with the problem:
- Remove the debris in and around the cracks as much as possible.
- For narrow cracks, you can fill the gap with masonry crack filler or a patching compound.
- For wide cracks, you need to chisel around the crack and widen it. Make sure to use the uncut method to keep the crack wide at the base and narrow at the surface.
- After the crack is open, clean it thoroughly before you apply a vinyl patching mixture and pack it into the crack carefully.
- Once the surface is completely level, add finishing touches to make it match the surrounding concrete.
Edges and Corners
It’s not uncommon for corners of concrete flooring or or edges to chip off. You can repair this problem easily as well.
- Chisel the area around the damaged edge or corner with the undercut method.
- Clean the surface and remove any loose portions of concrete.
- Wash the area to ensure the concrete is wet and clean.
- Place planks of wood along the edge and secure them in place with bricks or heavy objects. Make sure the wood is flush against the concrete edge.
- Mix the vinyl patching compound and pack it into the gap between the wood and damaged concrete and tamp it down to remove air pockets.
- Let the patching compound set a little and then finish the surface to look like the surrounding concrete.
As you can see, some concrete repairs are very simple to do. For information on concrete garage floors or to get an estimate, you can contact us at The Floor Company. If you’re calling from Ottawa and surrounding areas, dial 1800 461 3121. If you’re calling from Kingston, Belleville, Peterborough and Durham, dial 1877 277 9877. You can also email us at email@example.com or fill in this contact us form