Concrete is a very durable, low-maintenance, and versatile flooring option. Until recently, it was considered by some to be dull and boring. While it was often used in commercial or industrial applications, concrete floors were rarely found in homes and offices. Thanks to the evolution of finishing technology, this trend has changed.
Now the polish concrete and grinding process provides excellent floors that add to the beauty of any property. At The Floor Company, we’ve seen an increase in the popularity of concrete, because people prefer low-maintenance but attractive floors.
Levels of Polish
The polished concrete and grinding process will remove the topmost layer of concrete to get the best finish. Because of this, it’s possible to polish old concrete and get good results. However, a professional would still assess the condition of the floor thoroughly before they polish it. The process depends largely on the kind of finish you want. There are four different levels of polish and they include:
- Flat – This requires less than 100-grit resin bond and the result is hazy but clean. There’s no clarity or reflection.
- Satin – This requires 400-grit resin bond and gives you a low, soft sheen that looks like satin. You might see some reflection and clarity, but it’s still slightly hazy and matte.
- Semi-Polished – This requires 800-grit diamond abrasive and gives a muted shine to the surface. The floor will reflect light well and there will be come clarity. The floor looks clean but doesn’t have a completely mirror-like finish.
- High Gloss – This is the final level of gloss and requires up to 3,000-grit resin bond diamond or high speed burnisher. The floor will have near-total clarity with a mirror finish and high reflectivity. This is a very glossy floor but it looks stunning under the right light.
- We grind the surface roughly to remove any dents and unevenness from it.
- Our experts will then use progressively finer grit-polishing grits to achieve the desired level of polish.
- During the process, we apply impregnating sealer that sinks into the concrete, hardens the surface and densifies it. This allows us to grind it without causing any damage.
For information on polished concrete and grinding or to get an estimate, you can contact us at The Floor Company. If you’re calling from Ottawa and surrounding areas, dial 1800 461 3121. If you’re calling from Kingston, Bellevielle, Peterborough and Durham, dial 1877 277 9877. You can also email us at email@example.com or fill in this contact us form