Concrete floors have become more popular in the recent years because they’re no longer simply dull and grey. You can polish the surface to a high-gloss sheen or apply colourful epoxy coatings to improve its looks. At The Floor Company, we’ve noticed that our customers are often torn between these two options so here’s a brief explanation of the two types of finishes.
Epoxy coatings are a great solution if you want to breathe new life into your dull concrete floors. Here are some things you should consider about the floor before you make your choice:
- Epoxy flooring is affordable and quick so you can cover a reasonable amount of your floor over the weekend. In comparison, polishing sometimes takes more time and effort.
- The coating will protect your floor from chemical spills and other such problems. It also improves the overall durability of your concrete floor.
- Epoxy is water resistant so it can protect your floor from excessive moisture.
- The coating will also cover most imperfections and cracks on the surface so it’s ideal for old floors and surfaces.
- Unfortunately, epoxy isn’t very durable for high traffic areas and can eventually wear off in about 5 years. It may also fade a little if it’s exposed to too much sunlight.
- Epoxy also has a tendency to chip and develop scratches over time in high traffic areas and that can compromise the beauty and finish of the floor.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Polished Concrete
Polished concrete flooring is very popular because it hardens the surface of the concrete and makes it more resistant to wear and tear. Here are some other benefits of this finish:
- Polished concrete floors are very durable and can easily last for over a decade without the need for refinishing.
- The surface, especially if it’s polished to high-gloss sheen, has 100% light reflectivity. It will brighten your property.
- Polished floors are flatter and don’t have as many imperfections.
- They can also withstand moisture, sunlight, and temperature changes well.
- Unfortunately, polishing is sometimes more expensive than epoxy coatings and isn’t a DIY job. You will have to hire a professional for the task.
For information on epoxy or polished concrete flooring and to get an estimate, you can contact us at The Floor Company. If you’re calling from Ottawa and surrounding areas, dial 1800 461 3121. If you’re calling from Kingston, Belleville, Peterborough and Durham, dial 1877 277 9877. You can also email us at email@example.com or fill in this contact us form.